If you’re looking for ways to improve your existing residential or commercial site, or if you’re considering erecting a new building or constructing an addition, it’s important to begin your development process by hiring a qualified civil engineering firm. Working with trusted civil engineers can help you understand the limitations and capabilities of your site, and allow you to ascertain the best way to move forward and make your dreams become a reality.
However, not every civil engineering firm is of the same caliber. Some companies are more adept at executing certain types of civil engineering projects, and it’s important to be aware of the varying capabilities of different firms when you’re looking to hire civil engineers in Georgia.
Here are just a few things that you should keep in mind when you’re looking for the perfect civil engineer to help you execute your next project:
- Long-standing experience: The first thing that you should look for in a civil engineering firm is a company that has long-standing expertise in the type of project that you’re hoping to execute. Some firms may specialize in one specific area that isn’t necessarily related to what your project calls for. Be sure to work with a trusted company that has a demonstrated record of success when it comes to projects of your type.
- Local land-use expertise: It’s always important to work with a company that knows the intricacies and ins and outs of local land-use laws in your jurisdiction. Cities, states, counties and municipalities all exercise land control differently, so you’ll need to work with a civil engineering firm that’s intimately familiar with the way it’s handled in your area.
- References and credentials: Always check the references and credentials of a civil engineering firm prior to hiring them. Civil engineers are a substantial investment, and they play a large role in the future of your property, so it’s important to ensure that they’re going to be serving your best interests.
- Examine insurance: Check the specifics of the insurance policy that the firm holds, and call the company to verify the veracity of their coverage. Try to familiarize yourself with the terms of the coverage, and don’t be afraid to ask questions about who’s held liable for certain types of accidents or incidents.
- Consider more than the cost: Civil engineers in Georgia do charge for their expertise and experience—so be sure to consider more than the cost of the company that you’re considering working with. Take their experience, local knowledge and other factors into account when identifying which company you’ll give your business to.
For more than half a century, Moon, Meeks, Mason & Vinson, Inc. has been a trusted team of civil engineers in Georgia. We’re a full-service surveying and civil engineering firm specializing in design-build assistance, construction staking and so much more. To learn about all the ways that we can assist you with your next civil engineering project, reach out to one of our friendly, knowledgeable land surveying and civil engineering experts today.